Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Patchwork Pouches and Schoolhouse Night

At last night's quilt guild meeting, we had Schoolhouse Night as we have for several past August meetings.  We had four demonstrators, and five stations, the fifth station being snacks. 

You always need snacks.

I volunteered to demonstrate a small tote bag I made from a kit I'd purchased at the local quilt shop, Patched Works last year.

The bag is small, 2.5" x 2.5" x 6" when made according to the pattern.  Of course you can make it any size, limited only by how large a  zipper you have.  They do have that zipppers on a roll that's about 8 yards long...













The hardest thing about doing this, besides fitting it in in 15 minutes and talking for an hour and a quarter?  Making step-outs that make sense.  I cut a bunch of kits up, and then started stitching.  The first one I finished.  The second time, I almost did the last step and stopped myself just in time from cutting off something that I wanted to leave on.

Once I numbered the steps for myself it was easier, but not easy.  I just wanted to keep going, and get them all done. 

The pattern was in the kit.  It was free from the Moda Bakeshop.  When I made mine, I'd had the kit for about six months.  At that time the pattern was still on the MBS website.  When I went to find it for the class it was still there.  I looked for it today to link to it and could not find it.  It's got a big logo at the top that says Made with Love, and underneath that are the small words "Patchwork Pouch".  Here's a jpeg photo of it. 

Anyway, the class was fun, every 15 minutes I had to reorganize my step outs (which I numbered and that helped a lot) for a new group of faces.  They all had different ideas about how they could do their own bags and what they'd use them for... I will look for many bags at show and tell in the next couple of months!  By the time the last group came I had the dialog down pat.  And I needed a serious glass of water because my mouth was the Sahara Desert.

Now that Schoolhouse is over, I can finish all my bags...

Sew on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit today!